Swiss National Library
Centre Dürrenmatt Neuchâtel
Swiss National Sound Archives
Via Soldino 9
+41 58 462 89 35 (NL Bern) / +41 58 466 70 60 (Dürrenmatt Centre) / +41 58 465 73 44 |(Swiss National Sound Archives)
Alfred Oeschger (1900-1963), Emil Hostettler (1887-1972) and Josef Kaufmann (1882-1962)
Established in 1895, the Swiss National Library (NL) is part of the Federal Office of Culture, which is attached to the Federal Department of the Interior. There are three sites, the main building in Bern, the Dürrenmatt Centre in Neuchatel, and since January 1st 2016, the Swiss National Sound Archives in Lugano. The NL’s mandate is to collect, catalogue and preserve Helvetica as well as make them available to the public, now and in the future. The term Helvetica covers:
1. The literary and informational production published in Switzerland;
2. All publications published abroad, ancient and modern, dealing with Switzerland and its inhabitants;
3. Documents and translation of works by Swiss authors in all languages.
This mandate includes “digitally born” publications such as, for example, e-books, e-journals, sound and websites.