Unirii Blvd. no. 22
Sector 3, 030833
Prof. Adrian Mihai Cioroianu
The first headquarter assigned to the National Library of Romania, in 1955, was located in the Court Building. That building was constructed between 1890-1895, by the plans of architects Albert Ballu and Ion Mincu.
In 1957, the Library moved in another building, the former Palace of Stock Market, constructed between 1906-1912, after the plans of architect Ștefan Burhuș.
The construction of the new building of the National Library of Romania began in the ‘80s, coordinated by the architect Cezar Lăzărescu and ceased after the 1989 Revolution. The remodeling of the premises was conducted between 2007 and 2008 by architect Eliodor Popa. The construction work was carried out in 2009-2011.
The National Library of Romania is a fundamental institution for the national written heritage. The NLR conserves, manages and promotes an important part of this heritage and participates in building a modern, dynamic and well informed society. This is integrates at the national level and documents information resources which creating a path to knowledge as well as to the knowledge of Romanian culture and spirit.
The most important chapter in the biography of the National Library of Romania can be considered to be the year 1955 when the Central State Library was founded (by D.G. No. 1193/25.06.1955).
According to most historians and researchers, the National Library of Romania finds its origins in one of the oldest libraries from Romania – the Saint Sava High School Library in Bucharest. This library opened its’ collections to the general public in 1838. In 1859, it received the status of a national library, alternatively being referred to as the National Library and The Central Library.