The CENL Executive Committee announced in the last quarter of 2020, their plans to establish a new Covid-19 fund. The objective of this fund was to respond and provide funding to help CENL members immediately battle against challenges connected to Covid-19.
The National of University Library of Bosnia and Herzegovina successfully applied for the grant and therefore reported on their project: Corona free corner in NULB&H.
The project included the establishment of a “Corona free” corner in the premises of the National and University libraries of Bosnia and Herzegovina with the aim of active participation in social processes and changes caused by the global pandemic. Regarding to this, the project was based on organising a corner.
The Library purchased the necessary devices for sterilization, digitization, access to digitized material and education. The primary intention of the project activities was to create a space that is strictly controlled in terms of the epidemiological situation so that the library can fulfil its very important role. Given that the global pandemic is ongoing, and that its final end is unknown, NULB&H believe that this is very important, given the predictions that the coming autumn and winter will be more problematic. On the other hand, pupils, students, academics, etc., which are the largest percentage of the libraries users, but also other librarians, expect from the National and University Library of Bosnia and Herzegovina active participation and action in these difficult times. The educational component of the project is equally important – encouraging the importance of epidemiological recommendations, adequate action in these times. NULB&H has the imperative to be a pillar of society and support science and education at all times, especially this one, and for that it needs additional tools and models – creating “COVID-19” free space, education, using online models and methods, scanning, e-mail and other types of communications.
Following outcomes were as planned:
– protection of staff, users, with the aim of sustainability of the library’s mission;
– renewal of the educational function of the library;
– active participation in society and all social processes and phenomena; – building trust;
– unhindered flow of relevant and necessary information in digital form;
– approaching the user environment, elements of lifelong learning.
Due to their needs for creating a corona free corner and needs of their users for digitization, creating and maintaining a digital collection was the priority. The new CENL fund allowed the library to purchase:
1. HPE DL380 GEN190 (for scanned materials, digitation/creating and maintaining digital collections)
2. HPE 32G SMART KIT
3. HPE 500W FLEX SLOT Platinum Hot plug
4. HPE 600GB
The project outcome was successfully fulfilled
1. The National Library staff and users were safe
2. They have established digital collections;
6. Approaching the user environment, elements of lifelong learning